North Carolina Assets Alliance
Connecting Households and Communities to Economic Opportunity
(Formerly the NC Asset Building Policy Task Force)
The North Carolina Assets Alliance is a coalition of organization committed to educating the public and policy makers about asset-based strategies that promote economic security and prosperity for all North Carolinians. Together, the Alliance develops and promotes a statewide policy agenda to help policy makers understand the connection between work, income, savings and asset accumulation issues affecting low to moderate income households.
Following the 2005 NC Statewide Financial Education and Asset Building Conference, EITC Carolinas (an initiative of MDC, Inc.), the IDA and Asset Building Collaborative of NC, Action for Children NC, the UNC Center for Community Capitol, and other partners met to discuss the creation of the NC Assets Alliance. In June 2006, the first meeting was held in Raleigh, and since then the full Alliance meets on a quarterly basis. Currently, the NC Assets Alliance has over 40 participating organizations.
The NC Assets Alliance has four subcommittees: Outreach, Communications, Policy, and Research. These subcommittees meet regularly between full NC Assets Alliance meetings. (Click to see graphic)
In 2009, the NC Assets Alliance released the report, "A Prosperity Grid for North Carolina, Connecting Households and Communities to Economic Opportunity".
For more information on the NC Assets Alliance, please visit www.ncassets.org.
NC Assets Alliance Overview
The N.C. Assets Alliance educates the public and policymakers about asset-based strategies that promote economic security and prosperity for all North Carolinians. The N.C. Assets Alliance works to:
- Develop a common framework that can tie diverse asset building policy pieces together;
- Give these efforts greater visibility on a local, statewide, and national level; and
- Strengthen our mutual efforts to see new or expanded asset building policies and program initiatives implemented.
A core set of shared values underlies our work.
- Interdependence: The success of our households, businesses, government and communities is interdependent.
- Opportunity: All North Carolinians have an equitable opportunity to participate in the economy.
- Prosperity: All North Carolinians share in the state's prosperity.
We would like to thank the following organizations for their financial and technical assistance support of the work of the NC Assets Alliance:
C.S. Mott Foundation
Mary Reynolds Babcock Foundation
Annie E. Casey Foundation
North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities
Center for Social Development, Washington University
Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation
Bank of America